Saturday 3 January 2015

Charity elephant

YDC86 Charity auction - 24th-28th March 2011

Welcome to my website!
 
Here I will document my progress with the mystery elephant - my contribution to March's YDC charity auction in aid of Shelterbox.
24.03.11  13.00 These are pictures of the prototype elephant in scrap fabric.
 
Best go for a rummage then and choose some suitably elephanty fabric....
24.03.11 18.00
Fabric chosen! Blue denim (mid blue I guess) and a complementary print - pale blue with green, dark blue and white leaf and flower pattern.
 
And after computer issues have finally managed to update this - have spent slightly longer trying to get the photos uploaded than I have spent on the project so far! Oops!
 
Pieces cut out and pinned in preparation for sewing. Progress is at last being made. Sewing for the evening then!
26.03.11 12.30 Completed the turning and stuffing yesterday (OH was hogging the computer or would have uploaded last night!) and have left the stuffing to "rest" before closing the hole . Have chosen eyes for the elephant and have pinned ears ready for stuffing.
 
I am currently embroidering the blanket for his back so pictures of completed elephant should be online today!
25.03.11 10.30 Sewing completed last night except for the foot pads which (I know from bitter experience) should NOT be attempted late at night when tired! No matter how dearly you want to finish a project!
 
So the leg and body gussets are sewn in. I've sewn round the trunk and the head and I even remembered to leave myself a turning hole in the back. Forgot on the prototype and had to stuff through a back leg! Not easy - hence the lumpy stuffing! Lesson learned!  :o)
 
Four foot pads to sew in next then! NOT my favourite job but got to be 1000 times easier than miniature bear pads.....
25.03.11 12.30 Yay! Foot pads done! All sewing completed! Can get on with the more exciting tasks of turning, stuffing and decorating!
26.03.11 23.30 Elephant is completed! Ears and eyes positioned and sewn in place. Stuffing hole closed up - I always forget how much polyester stuffing you can cram into a small space! Oh well, slight dent made in my stuffing mountain I suppose....
 
Blanket is made and embroidery started - large blank canvas to be filled yet.....
28.03.11 11.00  The elephant is completed and ready for it's new home! I have really enjoyed being back in the YDC this month - it's been great fun! I've really loved the challenge of creating something new on a deadline too!
 
I may have got a teeny bit carried away with the blanket embroidery but I do like intricate detail (reflected I suppose in my preference for making miniature teddies!) and, although it took a while, I think the overall effect is good!
 
It has become increasingly evident that I will have to invest in a better camera: one which will cope with taking close-ups and photos of miniatures.
 
Just realised the elephant might want a tail - so off to see what I can find......!
28.03.11 13.30  That's better! Tail is done and sewn on and now I really am ready for the auction to end in about 45mins!
 
Phew! Time for a cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...